The former Kingsmill School was originally constructed in the 1960’s as a 500 student vocational school. In 1989 it was transferred to the Toronto District Catholic School Board and renamed Bishop Allan Academy. The design challenge was to transform the facility into a composite academic high school for 950-1200 students. The project entailed a complex phased renovation/addition program in a user-occupied facility. The original project was completed in 1993.
Since then, continuing demand for the popular school has necessitated further expansion of the classroom and infrastructure capacity as well as numerous specialty classroom renovations. This has included filling in the under-utilized interior courtyard to double the cafeteria size and add mezzanine level classrooms, as well updated science labs and art room facilities.